Monday, October 3, 2011

4.01 Pathos in Journalistic Writing

When fighting a war you have two opposing sides. One side feels they are correct and the other is wrong. This is the same for the other. But what would happen if they came together in agreement and put down their weapons? The war would be over and peace would be in the future. During the beginning of my belief in a divine being I struggled with understanding science. I even wrote a short poem explaining my frustration. I held to my theology like I was stuck in a wind storm and didn't want to get blown away. Little to my knowledge did I realize that both can come to an agreement much like a peace treaty in war.

I dove into science and started researching many topics. Some of these topics included the Big Bang theory, evolution and DNA. I thought I would find many pieces of information that were missing that would crumble the theories into nothing. I held to the belief that the missing parts of theories I could fill in the blank with a divine being. What I realized was religion did this all the time. This made them look extremely bad. The Catholic Church during the time of Darwin hated the idea of evolution and natural selection. This caused people to split into sects of people that believed in science or believed in religion. I truly believe that this hasn't changed since because one side thinks they are right and other is wrong just like in war. What one does not understand is that both can come into agreement.

Francis S. Collins a renowned scientist of genetics who is the lead man that mapped out the human genome put it this way in his book, The Language of God, "It is time to call a truce in the escalating war between science and spirit. The war was never really necessary. Like so many earthly wars, this one has been initiated and intensified by extremists on both sides, sounding alarms that predict imminent ruin unless the other side is vanquished. Science is not threatened by God; it is enhanced. God is most certainly not threatened by science; He made it all possible. So let us together seek to reclaim the solid ground of an intellectually and spiritually satisfying synthesis of all great truths." I think this best explains the idea that both can come into agreement. It is very true that we have extremists on both sides. Science has a way of working through trial and error. When new evidence is presented in the scientific community they build upon the old to get a better understanding of the world around them. I believe theology can do the same. With the scientific world expanding on physical knowledge why dont we apply that to theology. Theology and science together can help interpret the sacred text and we can better understand it if we just get on level ground. Theology can interpret the text with sound understanding of biblical understanding and science can keep working while both are building upon each other. Science has proved that human beings have extremely gifted minds and it also shows how much more complex the divine being is, showing his unlimited power. Science and religion are in two different worlds but when both are brought together they are, "intellectually and spiritually satisfying of all great truths."

No comments:

Post a Comment