Monday, October 3, 2011

4.02 Logic and Fallacies

Logic fallacies have three common ones and they are bandwagon, false dilemma, and correlation/causation. I have experienced bandwagon many times over the years since I watch sports from time to time. The best example of bandwagon I can give is when a sporting team wins and everyone is there fans. In my real life example this is exactly what it was.


My friend Matt was a die hard Red Soxs fan after they won the world series. This seems like it is completely logical but it wasn't because Matt the year before was a New York Yankees fan. Anyone that watches sports can tell you these two teams dont get a long especially the fans. He is what you call a bandwagon fan coming from the logical fallacy of bandwagon.

The situation was resolved when I told him that he was becoming a bandwagon fan. When you are a sports fan there is a known rule that you dont switch teams like that. If you are a true New York Yankees fan then you stick with them through it all or if you are a Boston Red Sox fan then you do the same by sticking by them even when the going gets rough. Even though this wasn't me that experienced the logical fallacy it was my friend so I used the example.

No comments:

Post a Comment